The Church Of Our Saviourimage002.jpg



The Episcopal Church of Our Saviour in Jenkintown opened for services on June 20, 1858. We are part of the Episcopal Diocese of Pennsylvania, and members of the worldwide Anglican Communion.


         Today, our church is a place of tradition, diversity and opportunity. We bring spiritual growth to God's people through our Christian education programs, fellowship and service to our surrounding community. We are a nurturing environment where people can gather and worship God.



History of the Church of Our Saviour 

A half dozen families in the area established the parish in July of 1855.  The first Rector was the Rev. Dr. E. Y. Buchanan, brother of the President of the United States.  There was no church constructed at that time, so services were held in available buildings, such as the Jenkintown lyceum (now the Jenkintown Library) and people’s homes. 

On August 29, 1855, an event occurred which forever changed the life of the parish.  Two members of the congregation, William Henry Newbold and his daughter, Marie, were in a tragic railroad accident in Burlington, NJ, that killed over 20 people.  Mr. Newbold escaped without injury, but his daughter, Marie, was severely injured.  The railroad voluntarily gave the Newbold family $10,000 which the family devoted to the erection of the church in Jenkintown as a thank offering to God.  Because of their miraculous escape, they decided upon the name, “The Church of Our Saviour.”  Placed over the door of the church were the very appropriate words from Psalm 68: “God is the Lord by whom we escape death.”  The first service was held in the church on June 20, 1858. 

The Tiffany style window on the left side rear of the church was created by a famous glass artist, John LaFarge.  The widow is not only a beautiful memorial but also holds a great deal of artistic and historical significance.   John LaFarge, discoverer of a new stained glass technology, patented the opalescent glass manufacturing process in 1880. La Farge was one of the most innovative and versatile American artists of the nineteenth century. He achieved renown as a painter in oils and watercolors, as a magazine and book illustrator, and as a muralist and designer of stained-glass windows. LaFarge's inquiring mind led him to experiment with color problems, especially in the medium of stained glass. He succeeded not only in rivaling the gorgeousness of  medieval windows, but in adding new resources by his invention of opalescent glass and his original methods of superimposing and welding his material. By mixing bits of various materials into the molten glass, LaFarge was able to produce unique visual effects.  Through the use of opalescent, ripple and confetti glass in these windows, the distinctive genius of John LaFarge shines through.  He worked closely with Tiffany who used some of LaFarge’s techniques and ultimately became more famous than John LaFarge, inventor of these techniques.

The Annunciation Window by John LaFarge

Time has taken its toll on the Annunciation Window and it is in need of professional restoration. Please consider contributing to a fund for its restoration.

There are many other stained glass windows of special historic significance and beauty, please visit us at the 10:30 am Sunday Service to view the windows and join with us in worship of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.